Treatment For Vaginismus
Vaginismus is a condition involving a muscle spasm in the pelvic floor muscles in internal area. The term vaginismus is less commonly used alone and single. Instead, the DSM-5 classifies the condition under genito-pelvic pain/penetration disorder (GPPPD).
They’ll do a pelvic exam to look for other health conditions that could cause pain. You might need some treatment before you can tolerate the exam. Your doctor will move as slowly and gently as possible, and they’ll explain everything they’re doing.
Fast facts about vaginismus
- Pain can range from mild to severe, and it can cause different sensations.
- Vaginismus can result from emotional factors, medical factors, or both.
- There are different forms of vaginismus, and symptoms vary between individuals.
- Treatment, which involves physical and emotional exercises, is usually effective.
Other symptoms of vaginismus include
- Not being able to have penetrative sex or insert a tampon at all
- Fear of pain or sex
- Loss of sexual desire